SBCC's Emmons Poetry Contest
"If judges cannot find suitable entries for the awards, they reserve the right to withhold one or more of the awards."
- Students entering the contest must be enrolled in at least 6 units of SBCC coursework ON THE DATE THE PRIZE IS AWARDED. Enrollment in non-credit courses does not count towards the 6 units of college credit.
- The Emmons Contest was instituted to reward and encourage as many SBCC students as possible. Therefore, students who have received First, Second, Third Place, or an Honorable Mention, in ANY previous Emmons Poetry Contest are NO LONGER ELIGIBLE to enter and win cash prizes.
- You may submit up to a maximum of three poems during the submissions period.
- Maximum length of each poem is two single-spaced 8.5 x 11 inch pages in length.
- Subject matter for the three poems is open; however, judges will be looking for the following qualities in the winning poems:
- Clear and precise imagery
- Eloquence and intelligence of expression
- Musicality of language
- You may NOT delete a poem once you have submitted it, so CHOOSE and SUBMIT YOUR POEM(S) CAREFULLY.
- If you need to submit a revised version of a poem you have previously submitted, be sure to indicate that the revision is clearly indicated IN THE TITLE OF THE POEM.
If, for example you have already submitted a poem entitle September Morning, your revision would be title as follows:
REVISION: September Morning
- The revised version of a poem will be judged, but the previously submitted poem will count toward your 3 poem maximum.
- Poems originally written by a student in another language are welcome. However, those poems must be accompanied *in the same submission* by an English translation, and it is the *translation* that will be assessed by the judges. If the translation is written by someone other than the student who wrote the original poem, only one prize will be awarded: the students will split the prize money equally. ALL STUDENTS INVOLVED IN THE TRANSLATION MUST BE ENROLLED IN AT LEAST 6 UNITS OF COLLEGE CREDIT CLASSES AT SBCC AT THE TIME THE PRIZE IS AWARDED, OR THE POEM AND ALL THE POETS INVOLVED IN THE TRANSLATION WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND THE PRIZE WILL NOT BE AWARDED TO THOSE STUDENTS.
- See recent editions of The Best American Poetry (available in bookstores and in the Luria Library) for examples of a variety of outstanding contemporary poems.
- CASH PRIZES
First Place - $600
Second Place - $400
Third Place - $200
Three Honorable Mentions - $100 each
- CONTEST DATES
Entries may be posted between 9 a.m., Tuesday, February 2, 2016
and Noon, Friday, March 25, 2016
The winners will be posted on the website no earlier than Wednesday, April 10, 2016.
The Awards Ceremony will take place late in the spring semester, exact time and date to be announced.
Please read complete contest rules before entering.
BEGIN BY Registering to enter the Emmons Poetry Contest.
You will need your K-Number from your SBCC ID card to register.
Direct questions you may have about this contest to firstname.lastname@example.org